Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Remote Assistance Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppearce

Technical User
Dec 31, 2002
US
------------------------------------------------------------
Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote host name could not be resolved. Please try again.
------------------------------------------------------------
That's the error message I get after I enter the password. I do not have Messenger enabled. I am the remote host, the other party initiated the request via email.
What the heck do they mean by "remote host name could not be resolved"?
Thanks a million.
Phil

From MS

Remote Assistance will not work without "assistance" behind a NAT gateway (unless it is UPNP compatible - which ICS is)... The invitation file needs to have the computer address edited to the public IP address of the appropriate computer. Then the firewall/gateway device will need to forward TCP Port 3389 to the ip address of the appropriate computer ( the one needing the help). Send the revised invitation file to the other party and everything should
work.

See the following KB article for more information:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back