Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP re-install

Status
Not open for further replies.

reghakr

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2000
US
Just got a new machine at work... A Gateway with 40GB drive, XP Professsional, one NTFS partition. I want a total of 4 partitions. I'm not sure I trust software like Partition Magic to create new partitions. If I completely reformat, then partition and install, will I have to go through the Activation process? I have a "restore" OEM disk, appears to be the same as the XP Pro retail CD, but can only be installed on a Gatwway.

Here's what I've done so far:
I've tried deleting the partition using DiskPart after hitting F8 and choosing command prompt, but it will not allow it.

I've used a Win98 statup disk, received error message about not having FAT or FAT32 partitions, but I was still able to access fdisk. I can delete the non-MS-DOS partition, then plan on booting with the restore disk and installing.

Will I have to create a FAT32 partition using Fisk or will the setup give me the opportunity to format NTFS?

Do you see any problem with this?

reghakr

The Win98 startup disk will not allow you to format using NTFS.

Although I'm not versed in Partition Magic, rule of thumb is you may as well try it before putting anything that you might need on the system.

Otherwise, I don't think you'll have to reactivate XP installing from an OEM disk. Even then, you'd be giving MS the exact same information, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Bear in mind that the restore disk will eliminate your partitions; it returns your disk to the smae condition as when it shipped, with 1 partition on the disk.

You'll have to use PartitionMagic (version 7) or som similar tool.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen.
--
"You guys pair off in groups of three, then line up in a circle." -- Bill Peterson, former football coach at Florida State University

If you delete both non-DOS partitions using the Win98 startup disk and create two partitions (both Fat32), when you run the restore it shouldn't delete the second partition (will install on the first partition). Once you have WinXP installed you can reformat the second partition if you would like to change it to NTFS.

AlphaGuy

thanks, here's what happened.

I've formatted all logical drives NTFS within Win2k. Since C: was the (System) drive, I couldn't format
it. I restarted Win2k in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Then typed format c: /FS:NTFS

On restat I got NTLDR is missing. Press Alt_Ctl_Del to restart your computer. I changed the boot sequence
in the BIOS and got the Windows setup screen. Asked for the previous version CD, then continued on with
the install.

Install went fine, but now I have lost the dual-boot. Modified boot.ini,

Everything is up and running perfectly!
No re-activation needed.

reghakr

Could someone please help me (reghakr?)??
I keep changing my IE5 start page keys using regedit which works while I'm logged into Win98. When I shutdown and restart the home page is reset again to another (spam)web site. How come the keys are changed after rebooting? THANKS!!

sorry to have to post this here...

bec336

Try my FAQ in the Internet Explorer area:

faq608-1148

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back