Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP RDC between computers on home network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdgsogc

Vendor
Feb 26, 2004
CA
Hi,
I read many threads in this forum on RDC and port forwarding to 3389 etc. but I can't find a solution to my problem.

I have a LinkSys router and two XP machines on my home LAN. The machines can see each other in My Network Places.

But I want to be able to access the second machine with XP's Remote Desktop Connection. Specifically, I want to log into that second computer in one session while someone else is logged in that second computer at the console.

I have forwarded my LinkSys to port 3389 for the internal IP on the second computer. In fact I did that for both computers. I have tried using the internal IP address as well as the computer name of the second machine for the Computer field on the RDC connection document, but I keep getting the following error:

The client could not connect to the client computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy ...

Requirment: Access a second computer inside a home LAN with a LinkSys router from the first computer while another user is at the console of the second computer.

Thanks in advance

You should only need a port forward if you were accessing from the WAN side to the LAN side. Remove the port forwarding statements.

On the same lan the Netbios name should resolve. But you can give it a nudge:
After that, the most fool proof way is to use the IP address of the remote computer; e.g. \\192.168.1.101

But it will resolve an address such as \\FDGsogc

Some resources:

Just to add a little.....

With Remote Desktop, the user at the console will be logged off when the remote user gets connected. Also, because it wasn't mentioned, XP Profesional is required as the RD 'server'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back