Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP "Migration"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollowlife10

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2006
FI
Hi,

I have a new hard drive and I would like to get my XP running with it.

Point is, to transfer XP COMPLETELY to a new drive with programs etc.

I have mind one scenario : To copy the whole XP(C:\) partition to a new disk. Then basically change the new disk letter to C: and make it a primary master??Sounds simple, too simple?

Do you have experience/recommendations regarding this?

Thanks in advance,

Hollow

By the way, I read that cloning an entire disk would be one answer, but my windows is on IDE and new drive is SATA?

Did you get a CD with the new hard drive? If so, that should have a utility on it for copying one hard drive's contents to another.

Lee

I would backup all your data. Then do a fresh installation of WinXP, reinstall all of your programs, and then restore your data.

Thanks all for you answers!

It is actually very simple, just use some software for example Acronis TrueImage or I noticed that in my drives website there is software, which do also copies of disks so at least Western Digital users dont have to use image software even! Be careful with drive letters though!

Everything is just fine and working which is a huge surprise for me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back