Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Professional installed on E:\ instead of C:\

Status
Not open for further replies.

micgla

MIS
Sep 13, 2001
US
Help,

I have a newly built computer. I put 2 hd's in it. The first was a brand new HD. The 2nd was a hard drive that I previously used. I somehow got XP professional installed on the HD on Device1. The other drive had an installation of Win2K on it. It is Device 0. I really didn't realize this until after I had installed all the devices and addons to the computer. What happened is XP loads great and I activated it too. But it is labeled as E:\ and I want it as C:\. I go into disk manager and I cannot change the drive letter that is the boot partition. Is there an easy way to convert this to the proper drive. I really don't need any of the data on the C:\drive. I just missed cabled it. Or misjumpered it or something. What happens if I Pop out the extra drive thaat is now C:\? Will this cause the E:\ to be now C:\? And will this bomb my whole system? Thanks for any help here.

i suggest you to unplug the old drive and reinstall the xp on the correct drive.

hope this helps
lovalles

If you removed "C" drive in your present configuration XP will be unable to boot. I am assuming it is a dual boot with Windows 2000, in which case the boot loading files will be on the "C" drive.

I am definately not dual booting. The old drive has win2000 loaded on it from an older installation, I wanted it as a slave for access to a few of the files on it. I loaded XP pro on the new drive and somehow mis configured the cables or something.Could I just take out the C:\ drive because I am booting to the e:\ drive and I didn't install 2000 on the C:\? Is this feasable? Or do I have to reinstall everything?

Thanks for your help.

best to reinstall (without other drive in machine & remvoe & recreate partition) if you want C: (there is a method to move the system drive letter in XP - (for 2k - also works for XP) - but as it says there not recommended).

btw - nothing wrong with having it on E: - I've got mine on F:.

Thats the info I needed thanks to all for your help. I think that I will at this point just leave as is. It definately can be done but looks like it is not recommended by Microsoft.

If you play with the bull you get the horns.

Had similar 'misnaming' problem on a machine. Changed to selected master/slave rather than csl. This fixes it as otherwise xp chooses its own drive order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back