Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSROS

Technical User
Apr 18, 2004
CA
Hi,

the problem is:
Windows xp pro, for some reason i will not start just in safe mode, then what i did i re-installed it over the previous one but still not boot in normal mode but the strange thing is if we press F8 and we select "Last known good configuration" (something like that works fine) so i am guessing that's the version we just re-installed.

is there any way i can change to boot from the re-installed one?

thank you

Many ???'s here. Did you format the HD & do a clean install? Running SP2 & all critical updates as well as updated AV/AS apps (@ least 2 different ones each, just to be sure you don't have a pest lurking around). You might want to run msconfig and click on the BOOT.INI tab. Make sure there's no check mark beside /SAFEBOOT (or any other options in the Boot Mode column. Also check your Boot path.
Do you have any idea as to what caused the problem originally? [ponder]
Bob

Many ???'s here. Did you format the HD & do a clean install? Running SP2 & all critical updates as well as updated AV/AS apps (@ least 2 different ones each, just to be sure you don't have a pest lurking around). You might want to run msconfig and click on the BOOT.INI tab. Make sure there's no check mark beside /SAFEBOOT (or any other options in the Boot Mode column. Also check your Boot path.
Do you have any idea as to what caused the problem originally?
Bob

If I am reading you correctly there may be some misconception on how the "Last Known Good Configuration" option works.

Feature: Last Known Good Configuration.

When to use it: When you suspect that a change you made to your computer before restarting might be causing the failure.

What it does: Restores the registry settings and drivers that were in effect the last time the computer started successfully.

Available on: Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional.

For more information, see To start the computer using the last known good configuration in Help and Support.

Notes

Choosing Last Known Good Configuration provides a way to recover from problems such as a newly added driver that may be incorrect for your hardware. It does not solve problems caused by corrupted or missing drivers or files.
When you choose Last Known Good Configuration, only the information in registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet is restored. Any changes you have made in other registry keys remain.

In the Help And Support program of XP, search using the phrase "Recovery and Repair", that should bring up some articles and links for you.

315222 - A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

As your computer appears to be starting from Safe Mode, but not Normal Mode, you probably have a driver or program trying to load that is not fully compatible with XP?

To confirm this try these.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

Unless you are purposely Dual Booting XP with another install of XP, you only have one edition of XP installed on your machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back