Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro won't recognize USB Jump Drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokkit99

Technical User
May 30, 2002
US
Recently I upgraded a machine to Windows XP Pro from Windows 98 SE. During the time we had Windows 98 on it, we used 4 different USB jump drives on it. To use the jump drives with Windows 98, you must manually install a driver for them. They all worked fine.

Since the upgrade to Windows XP, none of the jump drives will work. My thinking is that I have this problem because this machine had drivers installed for Windows 98 to use the jump drives before the upgrade to XP.

When I plug the USB jump drive into the USB port, it starts the "Found new Hardware Manager", but instead of continuing on and installing the driver automatically, it prompts me to direct it toward the driver, search automatically, install a CD, etc.

The other machines in the office were also upgraded to XP from Windows 98 SE. None of them used any jump drives while running Windows 98. ALl of the are able to use the jump drives now that they have XP. They all self detect when plugged into their USB ports and are ready to use within a few seconds.

Any ideas, or any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a USB Printer that is installed on the computer with the problem, and it runs fine.

Could it be something to do with Mass Storage?

Thanks in advance,

rokkit99

A couple of things to look at.

You could try using Device Manager and delete the USB root hubs that show on your machine.

Reboot and let XP rediscover the ports.

In the BIOS settings for your computer, load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options such as USB Support

XP Pro / SP1 won't recognize USB 2.0 ports
thread779-861975

USB device does not function after connecting device to a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer or to a Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005-based computer

AutoPlay intermittently does not detect removable media or digital cameras

When you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, the USB 2.0 drivers do not appear to update

314634 - Windows XP Does Not Detect Your New USB Device

A machine that was running 98 might also benefit from a Bios update if one is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back