Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP-Pro will not shut off on AT System

Status
Not open for further replies.

nctechno

Technical User
Sep 10, 2005
US
HELP!!!.

Got an older system, P3, 1.0 GHz, 512MB RAM, 350W AT Power Supply. XP is loading fine; not problems in devise manager of any kind. The system uses a backplane and a single board computer (SBC). The problem I have is when I go to turn off the system, XP goes into the "windows is shutting down now" and the mouse freezes. I then hit the switch on the AT power supply and the system is off. Power back on and XP loads fine. I am used to seeing "it is now safe to turn off your system" type of message, but I'm not getting that. Any ideas how to resolve this issue? Thanks.

Are there any strange errors in the Event Viewer?

Does your system usually give you a "It is now Safe To Turn Off" message, I haven't seen that type of message since the Windows 9x days? Is there any Bios update available for your machine?

Is the mouse causing the problem or just a symptom? You could try another one, or uninstall it in the Device Manager, reboot, and let Windows rediscover it.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Resources to help troubleshoot shutdown problems in Windows XP

Shutdown Troubleshooting.

Thanks all for your ideas. I found my answer the long way. There was a setting in the bios that I failed to set up "AT Power Supply". Once I made the change the system kept rebooting, so I ended up reloading the OS, with the right bios power supply set up and it works fine now. I now get the "its safe to turn off your machine now" message. This I wasn't getting and the screen was freezing. Problem solved. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back