Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro, VPN and Broadband problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamtam

MIS
Nov 22, 1999
US
We have remote users who are using laptops with Windows XP Pro and a VPN client(Cisco)to access our network over a cable internet from their home office. The laptop is setup on a domain so the users can get onto our network when they are in the office. When they are in their home office, connected to the Internet via a cable broadband connection, their laptops are VERY slow until they can connect to the VPN client and log onto our network. Once they are connected to our network, the laptops work fine. Then when they disconnect from the VPN client and are just connected to the Internet, the laptop goes back to being VERY slow (the laptop will not repsond for 5-10 minutes every time you click on something). After they disconnect from the VPN client, we want them to still be able to go out on the Internet, if they need to.

My guess is that the laptop is looking for the domain and until they connect to the VPN client and log onto the domain, it keeps looking. Has anyone else run into this? If so, is there a solution? Right now we are testing this setup with a few of our remote users. Our goal is to get all remote users high speed Internet access (cable or DSL)and a VPN client to connect to the office network. That is 45 users. We want all of their laptops to be setup on a domain, so they do not have to authenticate every time they want to access a different server.

Hi,

I am dealing with a similar setup. But i've not seen the slowing down problems you mentioned at all! The issues I have are related to disconnecting the VPN dialler does not reset the IP configuration correctly.

Also how should the system be set up in order for the user to log in to the laptop if the VPN is not active?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back