Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro User Account Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddman33

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2005
US
Hello, I asked this question in the 2003 forum, with no replies.

I have a small issue or big issue depending how you look at it. I have a user that was currently logging on to their computer(laptop) using their old domain from a previous job. I switched their domain to ours without really thinking about the consquences. Now all their email/contacts/calendar is stuck under that account. And now that domain is of course "unavailable". Is there anyway to log them back on and get their info saved or better yet make that account folder the folder for my domain?

toddman33,

The method to switch should have been to log into the computer and dis-join from the domain (joining a workgroup) and then to rejoin to the new domain.

Without actually doing it on a machine of mine (no other domain to test with) You should be able to join a workgroup with the old account and rejoin the new domain to retain the data.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

rvnguy,

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately, the account(s) just disappears since it was part of a different domain. I orignally thought I could change the account type from computer management under users, but the account is gone. Since this user is Sr. Management and he has nothing to do with previous employment, I thinking about creating a mock domain on my Virtual PC and then will try re-logging in that way. I haven't found much information about this situation, so I'll let you know if this "idea" works.

Todd

toddman33,

Have you looked or located the files/settings from this previous domain on this PC? Or were they wiped out also.

If you can locate them are they in a user account folder(Dir)?

rvnguy

rvnguy,

Got it working. All of his files documents and etc were still there under "documents and settings\acount name" The main problem was that all of his files such as his calendar, contacts, and other personal folders for Outlook could not be accessed.
The mock domain did not work, it just created another folder under documents and settings such as joe.cxn.000 The solution that did work was that I used System Restore. The bad idea with system restore is that I did not know the admin password so if the his account would still not let me in, then I'm SOL. At first his account did not work it said that the "domain is unavailable". But after a few tries it eventually let me in. From there I was able to backup all of his outlook information and restore it to his new account. And we are all happy now.

toddman33,

Thank You for posting your success...Seems that you were lucky that the files were still there. Great plan on spooling files off and then restoring them.

Glad you got the information back and have solved this problem.

rvnguy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back