Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP pro Toshiba laptop vpn problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck2

Technical User
Nov 16, 2002
CA
We have two new laptops, one in north america and one in the UK. They are pentium 4 toshibas.

Problem is one was sent to the UK and was going to be configured over the phone.

The one in North America works great, logs on to vpn server etc.

The one in the UK does not. We can have a netmeeting conferences but not over the vpn connection as the other new laptop can.

We can ping the server but it states that the vpn server is not available or that the security parameters may not be set properly when the vpn connection is tried to be established. If help is pressed it refers to the software firewall within xp being turned on. This is off and everything else seems to be the equivalent.

Any suggestions?

This would be greatly appreciated.

Addition information on this.

Under network connections on the faulty laptop the 'network bridge' shows nothing and cannot be changed or deleted. Does the network bridge under XP pro handle the vpn or have any influence on it?

What VPN protocol?
IPSec? LT2TP/IPSec? IPSec tunnel?
It is important!
Same active directory? What kind of authentication? Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

I have seen nothing good with the network bridge in XP... I also had similar problems with the bridge... go into the properties of the bridge and remove each LAN connection from it.. once this is done, you can delete it and your functionality may be restored... at least it worked for my company and I always delete the bridge, when network problems are present... debonairOne

"I look in the mirror and what do I see..."
dboneanime.gif

Thanks,
I was wondering if that may be the problem. Unfortunately the bridge will not let me repair, delete nor even see the properties to try your suggestion. I guess a complete reinstall is the answer but the one option I was trying to avoid as the machine is overseas and I am not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back