Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro - Too many problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

assd

Technical User
Oct 28, 2002
GB
Over the last 3 months i have had to format my hard drive 5 times and rid XP and all of its problems from my 80Gb IBM Deskstar HD. Eventually XP will not run any programs on my PC and cause protection errors all over the place and random restarting when using programs. Also tried repairing XP using the CD (no luck though!). Also run the PC on the minimum hardware and still probs! There's lots of error reporting. AOL v7.0 seems very unstable on my system and i've had nothing but trouble from day 1. I'm actually scared to go on the computer. It's XP's last chance!

The memory used on my system is DDR 2700 unbranded! There may lie the problem? Do i really need to get branded memory to make my computer stable as many people keep suggesting?

The MB is a Soltek 75FRV with an AMD2000XP. Everything was purchased brand new!

My brother is running basically the same setup as me but getting no probs what so ever! Can't think of what's causing it.

Thanks for your time guys, any comments will be of great assistance

MJ

Step number one. Get rid of AOL.
Step two. Get new memory....the cost of RAM these days is so low, you need to at least try it to see if this is the problem. Chuck Berg
Performance Telecom

chuck@performancetele.com During Hours
me@chucks-web.com After hours

ALSO CHECK YOUR BOIS VERSION. SOME MB COME WITH DIFFERENT
BIOS VERSION. YOUR BROTHER MUST HAVE THE RECENT VERSION. ASK HIM WHAT VERSION DO HIS MACHINE TELL HIM.

ALSO USED KINGSTON AND PNY IS GOOD TOO.

ASUS MOTHERBOARD IS ALSO GOOD.

TRY THE P4PE 533,MOST STABLE.

GOOD LUCK

It was a joke about the AOL. There are many people out the that can not get on the internet without AOL because they dont have the first clue how to get around on it. I work this old folks home with 500+users and hate to do service calls when they are using AOL due to the problems that are created to the pc after loading AOL. I was one an AOL user, but once I saw the light....no more. So dont take it personal about the AOL, sometimes I wish i had a keyword.....lol....talk to you later Chuck Berg
Performance Telecom

chuck@performancetele.com During Hours
me@chucks-web.com After hours

assd

memory may well be the problem - but you can easily get bad branded memory - its not a guarantee to work (just swapping it, preferably for some you know works in another system, to test, is a good idea. Then you can return existing memory as faulty if this fixes problem. If you buy more new - it may also have a problem - untried). Its almost certainly SOME sort of hardware problem.

I recommend getting the "IBM Drive Fitness test" and make a floppy.

IBM is currently in a class action lawsuit concerning the 75 gig harddrive.(high failure rate)
the 60 gig through the 120 gig use some of the same components and configuration.

I have two 60 gigs and have had to RMA each of them 5 times
their tech support is great their drives benchmark high and their drives fail often.
this web site has 37 pages of how often they fail

I have had the same problems you are currently having.
I have finally got my system stable. (it took along time)
I thought my problems were memory too.
it was the harddrives
do you get any page errors? (related to the harddrive errors)
try a different brand Harddrive and see if it works?

Hi,

This one of my many posts about XP. I used to run W2K Pro. No probs at all..

I upgraded to XP pro. System became a turtle when starting up. AOL 7.0 worked just fine though. Took the advice offered on here and reformatted my hard drives and did a 'Clean install'.

I repartitioned my main 80 gig hard drive to 3 X 8 Gig primary partitions and and extended partition for the rest.

XP starts pretty rapid now. BUT now and again it just hangs and I have to reboot.

I know that the problems are more than likely software oriented. But professional systems shouldn't just hang. Why doesn't XP protect itself? - Like the systems it seems to be replacing.

John.

One other thing you may want to check is your power supply. My machine started having similar problems, intermittent stuff. I noticed that my voltages were running a bit low, so I bought a new Enermax 350 watt psu and every problem I had went away. Memory has also caused these problems! Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

cheers guys

brought new pc2100 samsung ddr memory and all seems to be well! for the momemt anyway!

thanks alot!

Had the same trouble that you had assd. It was the 2700 memory. And I bought name brand memory. I switched to 2100 and the computer has been running fine ever since

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back