Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Systray Hang on Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfie78uk

Programmer
Jul 3, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have an annoying problem with a Windows XP (Version 2002) SP2 install on an Acer Aspire 1691WLMi laptop (Intel Pentium M 1.6, 512MB RAM).

Basically, after logging in, the desktop and taskbar all load OK (I am even treated to the Windows login music) but nothing loads in the systray and I am unable to execute any apps from the desktop. The mouse cursor becomes the "egg-timer" when hovered over the taskbar.

The only solution is to kill explorer.exe and then "File->New Task->explorer" from task manager to restart explorer. This will obviously cause explorer to restart and this time the systray programs will appear and everything is OK.

I have tried narrowing the problem down by disabling startup services in msconfig but the problem can be intermittent. I have noticed that applications such as GTalk and RealPlayer have caused it when they have decided to start up at boot time. However, loads of people run these apps so I suspect they are somehow "clashing" with another process rather than being faulty themselves.

I really don't know where to start diagnosing this. The Windows Event Log is useless.

What is interesting though is that this problem appears on an old desktop too (an AMD machine that has nothing in common with the laptop). This leads me to believe that it is a Windows XP problem that occurs under certain conditions.

I have disabled Background Intelligence Transfer after reading a suggestion to do so but that made no difference.

Please help me. This problem really annoys my wife and things that annoy my wife annoy me :)

Let me know if you need more detail. I appreciate that this is a bit light on detail but, not knowing where to start, I do not know what info will be of interest.

Thanks in advance,

Si

Re-enable BITS.
This is not a service issue.

Download Autoruns from Microsoft/Sysinternals and lace it by itself in a New folder on your desktop:
Run Autoruns and disable 1/2 the startup entries.
Reboot.
If the problem remains, go into Autoruns again. Enable the 1/2 you disabled earlier, and disable the 1/2 you left enabled.
Reboot.

By 'dividing and conquering' you should narrow your search to a single startup application within 4 or 5 boots.

How is it from Safe Mode, or from Normal Mode as a different user?

Have you tried preventing "GTalk and RealPlayer" from loading at Startup and just load them later as required?
Have you checked any Property/Preferences for those programs that will allow you to set such an option? Unfortunately a lot carry this option via right-clicking on the Notification Area icon.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back