Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp pro strange network prob with I.E after installing sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTMan

Technical User
Jan 23, 2004
GB
hi i have a very strange network prob when i install sp2(xp pro). Internet explorer does not work at all. It opens ok but i get a page cannot be displayed error message. I am using NTL cable broadband, the strangest aspect of this is that i have an ip address but i cannot ping anythin including my own gateway, i cant trace a route to anything BUT i am wrinting this online right now using mozilla firefox whiich is fine and can connect to all sites that are required. Windows firewall is off and i dont have a third party friewall installed. This is definately an sp2 issue because its the third time i have installed and unistalled sp2 and the problem dissapears when i uninstall it. I've had a search about but no one else seems to have had this problem. can anyone help??? thanks. T.

Sounds like your firewall is blocking your connection.. If you have a firewall disable it. If you are just using Windows XP's firewall (which i'm guessing you are as you have just installed SP2) I would suggest disabling that (just to elimate the possiblility, if it is the cause, you can just make rules to allow the connection) Goto Start/Control Panel/Windows Firewall Then tick No, and click OK. If that works then its windows firewall problem.

Hope that helped,
Jamie

SP2 - Microsoft Support is Free for SP2 Issues
thread779-923312

For other SP2 help try this site.

870700 - How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 2

There is a built-in Winsock fix for SP2 that might be worth a try.

WinXP Connectivity Issues
Lost Connectivity after Registry or Malware Cleanup
faq779-4625

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back