Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP PRO - Startup always tries to INSTALL something

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguync

MIS
Jul 24, 2002
US
Every time I boot up XP, I get 3 or 4 "windows Installer" screens show up, but go away after a few seconds. It looks like XP "thinks" it should be installing something. I'm thinking I have some bad registry entries. Any ideas?

type msconfig at the run command, then look in the startup tab. Here you can see what os being run during the startup process.

Do you have extra stuff connected to the pc, USB devices?
This can cause windows to do a hardware found installing drivers.....

Run the Disk Cleanup tool and clear out all your Temp folders.

Check your Event Viewer for any clues.

Make sure the Window's Installer service is not Disabled in Services, it should be set to Manual, so it can start when required.

Windows Installer Logging.

Windows Installer can use logging to help assist in troubleshooting issues with installing software packages. You can enable verbose logging with this setting. Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]

Create a new string value called "Logging" and set it to a combination of the letters below to enable the logging options. A value of "voicewarmup" will enable all the logging options.

Letter Option.

v Verbose output
o Out-of-disk-space messages
i Status messages
c Initial UI parameters
e All error messages
w Non-fatal warnings
a Start up of actions
r Action-specific records
m Out-of-memory or fatal exit information
u User requests
p Terminal properties
+ Append to existing file
! Flush each line to the log

The next time Windows Installer is used a log will be created. The log will be in your Temp folder and start with MSI in the name and have a .log extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back