Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro SP3 Folder Views Change At Random

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Gentlemen and ladies,
Have an older(08-09) HP desktop that has started changing folder views at random. The person who works on this station will set multiple different folders on her drive to view different ways since she deals with a variety of types of files. Within minutes of changing a folder how she wants it, she can go back into that file and it will be set in another view mode than she left it. She does have a ton of folders on her two installed HDDs(C & D) which I suppose could eclipse the allotted amount to remember but Im not sure that is the issue.

Only really has basic stuff installed: Adobe Reader, Office 10, etc and has Dropbox installed as the only outlier I can see as far as installed apps go.

Steps I have tried:
SFC /SCANNOW
TweakUI - changed the Folder View Remembering total to 8000
CCleaner on reg and apps

Any ideas where to start looking as Memory and HDD test fine too. This is the only problem with this machine. Where in the reg is the area where it tells XP how many max folder views it should remember, maybe it isnt staying set at 8000....?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

By default, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 remember each folder's view settings and customizations. This data is limited to 400 folders and is stored in the following registry keys:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
Source: How to modify your folder view settings or to customize a folder - Troubleshooting

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back