Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro sp2 will not install

Status
Not open for further replies.

noblehill

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2001
FI
Hello! I wonder if anyone has any ideas how to solve a problem:

WinXP Pro SP 2 will not install. I downloaded the servicepack for administrators, not the auto-update one. When I try to install the service pack, itsays there's not enough disk space to create an uninstall file. There is enough disk space, threre's somewhat ten times more than required.

The auto-update did not work, but that's a different story, mayde I'll start another thread on that. :) Any help would be appreciated.

Have you checked for any viruses/spyware that could be causing problems? If you have any disk-monitoring utilities installed and running, try disabling them, and see if that helps.

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

How much Hard Drive space do you have available?

Review System Requirements for SP2

• CD-ROM drive or an Internet connection

• At least a 233 MHz processor and at least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM

• At least 1.8 gigabytes (GB) of available hard drive space

Thanks for your advise. I got a little bit further this time, the installer itself could not tell it really needed that much free disk space. :) Anyway, the installation process started this time, but then it said that the database could not be read or written. I checked user rights, uninstalled a couple of last hotfixes, still no luck. :(

Thanks for the tip! It didn't solve the problem, but I might have use for the database fix later. I think a format c: will be the only way to solve this problem! :D

I work on graphic files all the time and several times a year I like to format and partition my hard drive and reinstall all of my software so I have a clean drive. After doing this several times Win Pro XP will not let me use the key number that came with the software when I purchased it. I have had to call Microsoft for a new key number the last 2 times I reinstalled Windows. Is there any way around this? I have also had to replace the hard drive and ran into the same problem when I installed the software. TIA Debbie

Debbie,

You should start a new thread, not add to this one. This is a completely different issue and almost a year old. A new thread might get a faster response.

326904 - You receive a "The product key used to install Windows is invalid" error message

310637 - Troubleshooting invalid CD key error message during Windows XP setup

XP Activation Loop
thread779-1004125

Xp Keeps requiring to be activated
thread779-968140

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back