Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro SP2 Downloaded and disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trebax

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
GB
Hi all,

Please can someone give me some advice here...

I recently tried to upgrade my XP pro with service pack 2. The windows update icon appeared in my system tray and i began to download. However, after the downloading finished my computer suffered a crash.

After rebooting my machine everything is working fine - however, I can't find the downloaded service pack 2? I have searched every directory but I can't find it??

Please can someone advise me as to where the downloaded file may be stored?

Thanks in advance.
Trebax

Since your PC crashed after the download, you may have not gotten a fresh copy of SP2. I would not rely on it even if you did find it.

I would download a fresh copy of SP2 and give that a shot.

Regards.

Erik

Good point - Thanks.

I was just curious as it is quite a large file and I didn't just want it sitting on my machine not being used - I'd rather delete it and retain the HD space. But I have no idea where it mught be?!

Also, will I have to go to the window update site and download it there or will it re-apear in my system tray like it did originally?

Thanks again.
Trebax

It is a bit of a myth that the SP2 that you downloaded is one large file, it is in fact made up of many many individual files. That is why searching for it as a large file fails to find it.

How do I remove the SP2 installation file XP auto downloaded

Where is the XP-SP2 downloaded file?
thread779-909470

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back