Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro shares become unavailable 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DV37201

MIS
Dec 21, 2001
US
I'm running an XP pro SP1 machine with a share that 5 people map a drive to. Since I brought the machine up yesterday this share becomes unavailable every 2 or 3 hours. I can still connect to the machine via remote desktop, and if I stop and restart the server service the share is once again available. Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that event viewer is not showing anything. Additionally, once the share drops, nothing allows us to reconnect until I restart the server service (or reboot).

Thanks

check power saving option of the nic (allow computer to shut down nic to.....) and disable it. maybe its not 100% acpi comp.

Found the following post from user RJPBSS in another forum. The discussion was on XP mapped drives that keep disconnecting and then seem to not be able to reconnect without rebooting or disconnecting and remapping.

Check this article out. I had the same problem and setting autodisconnect to wait for 8,171 years fixed it.

If you configure the Autodisconnect option to -1 at the command prompt, Autodisconnect is set to the upper value in the registry. This is approximately 8,171 years (not tested), which should be long enough to be the equivalent of turning Autodisconnect off.
The registry does not allow you to add a -1 value. However, that modification may be made at the command prompt with the following command:
net config server /autodisconnect:-

That last command should read

net config server /autodisconnect:-1

The values above for autodisconnect apply to server product connections, not to workgroup uses of XP Pro or Home as a file or print server.

For client OS versions:
HKLM\System\CCS\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters\KeepConn=65535

Value : KeepConn REG_DWORD 1 to 65535 seconds
Default: 600 (10 minutes)
The value of KeepConn specifies the maximum amount of time that a connection can be left dormant.

For client OS versions, you might consider opportunistic locking issues as a cause:

Thanks for covering the ground I missed BCASTER. You're a master!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back