Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Setup Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordel

MIS
Apr 11, 2003
US
I'm trying to install XP Pro on a HP Pavillion 7935 machine, it has a new clean 40 gig hard drive, I get a "Setup cannot copy file gdi32.dll" message when I start the installation. Does anyboby have any idea what is causing that?

Thank you.

Assuming the media & CD/DVD drive are ok, messages like this are usually indicative of a hardware problem.

Have you tried several times - and always get same issue?

Every time I have to install winXP on my home computer I get an insane amount of error messages for various different files during install. If I take the CD out and put it back in, eventually it will succeed in copying the file - only to error on another file a few minutes later. I've tried using different media devices, different disks, etc, to no avail.

The one thing I have found is that when I do a normal or 'slow' NTFS format is when I get a lot of errors. If I do a 'quick' NTFS format of a new partition, i get very few if any errors.

run a diagnostic software on the hd - even tho it is new the errors you are getting could be caused by bad sectors on the hd. maxtor has a good set of diagnostic tools that you can download from their web site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back