Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Remote Desktop Not Playing MP3 on Terminal Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

k2163

Technical User
Mar 25, 2004
US
I am trying to use XP Pro Remote Desktop to Play MP3's on a remote computer hooked into my home stereo system.

This is my set-up. I have two Dell Latitude notebook computers both Running XP Pro, with Remote Desktop installed and working on both computers.

One of the computers sits in a Dell Docking station and is wired through its Ethernet port to a Linksys wireless Router. This computer is the remote computer that is hooked into my home stereo.

The other laptop has a NetGear MA401 wirless card that connects to the Linksys wireless router. I use this to drive the remote computer hooked into my home stereo.

I get complete connection with Remote Desktop going both ways and everything seems to work well except one thing. When I log onto either terminal server using Remote Desktop I cannot play music on the terminal server. I either get a "hardware" error statement, or a "device not working" statement.

A couple of additional facts. When I sign on to the terminal server I select play sound at the terminal server in the options menu. Also, using the same option menu, I can bring the sounds of the terminal server back to client with no problem. I can also play MP3's on the individual computers so I know the hardware works.

Any ideas of what to do?

Great problem. I want to do the same thing, but can't get it to work.
Bill

I have the same problem, and I've been on a few other forums and it seems this is common. Anyone find a solution?

At the moment, this is only possible if the remote host is a Windows 2003 server, as it support an audio redirector.

Or, use the Media Center Edition of XP.

I FIGURED IT OUT:)

My two Dell laptops have different sound cards and drivers. I disabled the soundcard in my terminal server and left one in my remote computer running. This works for some reason.

I did this in Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Sound, Video and Game Adapters.

Give it a try!

This may be a dumb question, but why not just use file sharing, map the folder from the remote computer to the computer on which you wish to play the mp3s and play them locally on that computer?

I need to play them on the remote computer. That is the computer hooked up to the home stereo. The other computer is a battery operated laptop hooked into a WLAN that I use to control the home stereo from anywhere in my home or my yard.

Why use terminal services at all then?

Why not just use VNC or PC anywhere to control your computer. You can sit in your back yard, have a beer and listen to the tunes being played in your house and piped outside and control it.

I believe you are using Remote desktop for the wrong reason.

Matt

Why use Remote Desktop and not PC Anywhere?

Well...

1. I am running XP Pro on both systems anyway.

2. Why pay for another program?

3. THAT"S WHAT IT'S FOR! Running a remote computer. I can sit anywhere in my house and run my music server over my home stereo.

Worked out great for me once I figured the sound drivers out.

Hi,
I know that you might be frustrated of people not giving you answers and keep judging your needs.
I also have the same problem and 've found the solution (might be late).
Nevertheless, I just want to share.

Solution:
When starting a remote desktop connection, change the options (click options button).
You will find 5 tabs in the window.
Go to Local Resources Tab, and change the "Remote Computer Sound" to "Leave at remote computer". You should be able to control your music player from remote by now.
No need to buy another software :D.

-astha-

Great news, it will work, and you don’t need Media edition or 2003 server. I have a couple of machines I have been playing with and I can get it to work on 2 machines, but the one connected to my stereo still won’t work. This could be due to the fact it’s an older machine and there may be a hardware issue, or it could be where I was playing around with the RDT settings and now I have something in the Registry locked. I’ll let you know what I find.

I have it working 100% now. In order for me to get it to work consistently I had to turn off “USE FAST USER SWITCHING” under USER ACCOUNTS on the machine I was trying to connect to. Hope this helps.

Dear IqO and k2163

The solution to the problem IS what Iqo suggest, turn of the switching mode in XP (at the one connected to the sound system).

It doesn't matter whether you use XP on both machines, myself use win 98 and XP (not 2003 server).

I have for a long time searched an answer on this question, for that I am glad I found this forum and Iqo's reply.

I agree, it is very frustrating, in the search for a approprioate answer (google and so on) - to constantly read replies that only judging ones need, if a person cannot answer, please do not say anything at all - your opinion you can keep for yourself and at the same time, save space on the net.

Regards
Astro XcB

k2163 - We need to talk...I'm trying to set up the exact same thing and can not get it to work, your help is needed!

e-mail me at: dtmoody@hargray.com

Thanks!
-OldPine

HI im connecting to my gf's computer in canada from Australia, i want to hook up her house phone to her modem on her pc and dial her mobile phone. Is there anyway i can transger the mic and sound from her computer to my pc in australia. Save me making a international call.

Anyhelp is appreciated.

chrisazzi.

I've not tried to do that, but I think you will only be able to talk one way as the remote computer will be the only one "working."

That is, the remote computer, say in Australia, will have a functioning mic and sound, and will be displayed say in the States (there will be no display in Australia). However, the computer in the States will not have a mic or sound able to be heard in Australia or the States.

The best thing to do is take two computers, sit them right next to each other and start playing with the remote access functions. This is the only way I got mine to work.

Good luck, and let us know how it comes out.

Thanks,

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back