Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Random Shutdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf005

Technical User
Apr 5, 2005
I have an XP Pro running an a Dell 8400 that random turns off and reboots. (Not going thru the shutdown process) I will working on it and a sec later I am at the Bios post rebooting. Checked all the error loggs but nothing gets recorded. I am thinking it could be the power supply but does anyone have any suggestions.

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

If nothing at all is reported in event viewer then it is a hardware problem outside of the operating system. And you are correct, the power supply is the most likely suspect. Second runner up is heat related - motherboard, memory or processor.

Would there be a way to test which one it could be?

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

I have seen this behavior on a few systems and it is usually a hardware problem. But the solution depends on some troubleshooting. Things to check:

Does the system shut down, and the only way to restart it is to pull the power cord before it will start? Or does the power button work (without pulling the power cord).

Do you have 4GB RAM?

How many sticks of RAM?

What are the PSU voltages as reported by a DMM?

Run Memtest86 for 3-4 hours. Results?

The system automaticly restarts.

2 1gb sticks
2 256 sticks

P 4 3.2

1 SATA Drive
2 DVD roms

DMM?

Location of memtest86

Thankx

Just make sure that in Control Panel/ System/ Advanced/ Startup and Recovery/ Settings/ System Failure, that you have ticked "Write an event to the System Log" If you don't have this checked a lot of helpful information will be missing from the Event Viewer.

Check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

"Save Dump" is not a red error message it is an "Information" line which you must locate and click on to get to the extra information. See if you can use the Filter option in the Event Viewer under the View menu (while the System folder is highlighted) to search for the "Save Dump" events. All you have to do then is use the down arrow (in the resulting window) to select "Save Dump" in the "Event Source" box. Click Apply and OK, then you will have all the "Save Dump" Information lines in one place in the Event Viewer.

Now you can click on them and get those "Bug Check" details.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

Four sticks of memory is usually ok. But if you have a bad CPU, bad memory, or poorly designed memory or MOBO; four sticks may cause load related voltage level problems since memory sticks are connected directly to the CPU chip memory controller.

There are also reports of some Windows machines being unstable with 4 GB of physical RAM installed. You have 3.5GB installed so that issue should not be a problem.

DMM = Digital Multimeter. Yoy can use it to measure the voltages on your 20/24 pin connector. Available from RadioShack, Home Dept, Lowes, etc.

Memtest86 is a memory tester available from
You'll want to set your PC to boot from floppy or CD depending on which version you download. Let it run for several hours and pray for no red errors at the bottom of the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back