Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xp Pro performance issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwrrpdc

MIS
Sep 18, 2002
US
I have a users HP workstation...2.8 ghz processor 3.2g memory, and I just for the life of me cannot figure out why this machine is running so bad. Just trying to open up PDF files and we'll get an hourglass for 30-60 seconds...and the exact same issue with a terminal emulator (third party) to a legacy Open Vms system. Other machines in office beside this dont have the same problem. I've even tried a differnet piece of hardware ..and I get the same results. I have run malware cleaners, CCcleaner, Ssytem mechanic 9.0, and it just hasnt changed. btw I actually moved the network connection to another port in the lab...Any suggestions?

Have you checked to see if the hardware is fine? Memtest, Motherboard tests and the like?

You could have a failing piece of hardware that's causing the system to grind.

Another thing to check is the operating temperature of the CPU. If it's too high it could be that the thermal paste between the CPU/IHS is not working like it should.

Agreed - Memory test, hard drive test, motherboard tests first. Ultimate Boot CD will take care of most of those needs if you download and burn it.

Then:
Hard drive/controller running in PIO mode??? Will make a machine run about 25% of what it should be running.

Another quick method to determine if this is a hardware or software issue is to install Windows from scratch on a spare hard drive. If the install doesn't complete or the issues are still there afterwards, then you know the problem is likely hardware related. If they aren't there, then you have some troubleshooting to do back on the original drive!

This will help you narrow down the type of tests you need to run moving forward and will save time.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back