Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro on Windows 2K Server network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

twintone

ISP
Nov 17, 2003
US
Hello, I have done several searches, and have found a bit of information related to this, but its not exactly what is happening to me.

I am a part time sys admin for a small company: 1 W2K server, 5 W2K Pro workstations, all with roaming profiles. One of the W2K workstations was getting old, so we have replaced it with a XP Pro machine. Now, when logging into the network it is taking up to 5 minutes to logon. I thought this was maybe normal the for the first login attempt. But, when I logged out, and logged back in as a different user, it took another 5 minutes or so. So, I then thought, well maybe it will be slow for each user the first time they login, so I logged back in with a user I had previously logged in with, and again it took 5 minutes or so.

This is only happening with this new XP Pro machine, log ins from other W2K machines are normal, and log on to the network in a matter of 20 seconds or so.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Did you delete the old computer account and recreate it new, this way the security ID on the old computer account is deleted and reassociated with the new computer account. This is important if your using the same name on the new computer that the name on the old computer was using.

That is a good idea, I will try that and see what happens. Thanks for the info.. :)

Sounds like a DNS issue. If DNS is not configured properly you can get the type of delay that you describe. Do a search in the XP forum and look for posts from bcastner...he does an excellent job of explaining! I had this exact same problem, until I got my DNS straight.
Try this link...It helped me!!

In network properties, remove QOS packet scheduler. This seem to speed things up, but be sure to check DNS first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back