Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro on networked boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toonah

Technical User
May 23, 2001
US
I am thinking of installing XP Pro on two machines and networking them. What happens about the "activation" when it is loaded twice? What about a clean reinstall a year or two from now also? Thanks

In a home situation if they are separate machines you would need two versions of XP, one for each machine. In a corporate setting the licensing may be different.

Re-activation has never been a problem after any number of re-installs unless you completely change the specs of the machine by more than about 6 hardware items in one hit.

Read all about it here in detail.

302878 - Frequently Asked Questions about Microsoft Product Activation

Part two....if I have one box that is W2kPro, and one box that is XP Pro, will I have any networking problems? Am I better off putting everything on one new XP Pro box? I will run 2 SATA HD, cd, cd, floppy, external Zip, external HD, Canon film scanner, Epson flatbed scanner, two printers, external DSL modem, two Adobe programs and Office 2000. Do I even need two boxes, with the above split up between them?
Or should I just have two boxes, both with W2K since I know it already? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back