Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro not in the browse list for domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbys9

MIS
Apr 24, 2002
US
I have a few XP Pro workstations that I have joined to a domain (NT 4.0), but will not show up in a browse list. Makes it tough to give them Symantec Corporate coverage if they can't be seen. Other like machines have no problem. Interestingly, 2 of them have had Novarg removal done on them, but it is also happening with ones that did not get that worm. Need help! Thanks.

Is the Computer Browsing service started and set to automatic on these machines?

Maintains an updated list of computers on the network and supplies this list to computers designated as browsers. If this service is stopped, this list will not be updated or maintained.

Is the XP firewall enabled on the machines?

Are they in the correct Workgroup?

Thanks Linney,

You are right--the service is stopped. Problem is it will not start: Get a "1075 error: dependency service is removed or marked for deletion". Dependency services are workstation and messenger, and both are started. They both stop and restart no problem. Maybe the Novarg? If so, the tool did not fix. Must be a registry setting to control this.

For the network adapter, TCP/IP, Properties, Advanced, WINWS tab disable LMHOSTS and check to 'enable netbios over TCP/IP'

You need the Netbios Netbt Helper server set to Automatic, (as well as the Server and Wokrstation Service).

Don't know if related to MyDoom (I think so), but Server service is nowhere to be found. How do I reload the Service Service? Thanks.

Server service is set to automaticly start if, under the properties of your network connection, you enable "File and Printer Sharing.'

That triggers the Server entry. You can find clients where only 'Client for Microsoft Networking' is enabled, that triggers the Workstation service.

You often find clients that under TCP/IP, properties, Advanced, WINS tab, that there is not a check mark next to 'enable Netbios over TCP/IP'. That checkmark enables the Netbt Helper Service.

Many of these services are dependent. XP by default will try and add the "Client for Microsoft Networking" and "File and Printer Sharing" as a default. It does not make the extra step to 'enable Netbios over TCP/IP' as a default. I have lost the argument too many times with MS product groups on this issue, it is not going to be enabled as a default setting.

Someday I will sit down and write a smalll local DNS server for XP and end this issue once and for all. Ask me again at the end of April, 2004 as this is high on my list of issues for the MS product groups at the MVP summit.

Oh, so obvious. Dooh! Thanks for your help, bcastner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back