Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro networking problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

xexth

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2001
CA
Hi! I am trying to share files and printers between 2 computers. One uses Win98 SE and the other computer is using XP Pro. Details of the 2 computers are as follows:
1) Asus A7V mobo, 512 RAM, 1 GHZ Athlon CPU, Video - 32 mg ATI Xpert 2000, Sound - SB Live.
2) 450 AMD CPU, FIC mobo (socket 7), 256 megs RAM, video - GEForce 2 (32 megs), Sound - SB Live. Both computers use D-Link DFE 530 TX network cards with a D-link hub.
Hook up is through a hub connected to cable modem (connected to uplink port of hub). Both computers go out on the internet no problem - each computer will see itself on the network but will not see the other computer at all. Have tried making the network disk and installing on the Win98 computer but no luck.
Have enabled NWLink Netbios, NWLink IPX/SPX Netbios transport protocol and TCP/IP, and enabled network access control and disabled the firewall on the XP computer. Have TCP/IP, Netbeui and IPX/XPS enabled on the Win98 computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Really stumped. Have had this problem on other small computer networks as well. Am getting ready to dump this crap XP operating system. Thank you in advance for any posts and help.

I am running XP and Win2000 on my home/office machines. Here is what I have in my "Local Area Connection settings".

"File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks"

"Internet protocol (TCP/IP)"

"Client for Microsoft networks"

That's all. And I am not even sure that the 2nd one is necessary. But please note that I had to toggle on "Sharing" for each partition AND the folders beneath it. That is by right clicking each drive and folder in Explorer and picking the Sharing option. Hope this helps...

Ray...

---Dyslexics of the world UNTIE!!---

What is your IP setup (address, Subnet mask, Gateway)for each card? What model D-Link hub? (is it a DI-704 or some other model of router/gateway/hub?) Do you have DHCP running. Are the systems peer-to-peer, part of a workgroup?

I have a similar setup with WinME and WinXP Pro to a Linksys Gateway/Hub to DSL connection and all works fine. I bet your issue is with TCP/IP.

More details will help.

Let us know ... The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

Hey mate some info would be great about your IP set up....
First advice is start with TCP/IP, NetBios and IPX/SPX all installed in all of ya machines. Have installed also "File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks" and "Client for Microsoft networks". If the box ya useing gives you NAT set IPs 192.168.0.2 up to 192.168.0.254 for all the PCs behind your Net connection. Otherwise set the IPs that your ISP provided you...
Subnet 255.255.255.0.
Gateway set your ISP's Gateway is your router ip here 192.168.0.1 (say).
DNS settings use your ISP's settings.
The above setup is standard and it will work on most cases.

!!!Gateway set your ISP's Gateway is your router ip here 192.168.0.1 (say)!!!. Dah!!!! lost it completely there. 192.168.0.1 is your router's or your gateway PC's IP.

I had a similar problem with an XP machine and a 98 machine when trying to install a cable/dsl router. I may case the solution was that the windows xp workgroup name was different form the 98se workgroup name. They are like this by default from setup, if you have never changed them. I could however search for the computer on my network what was not showing up under the entire network and the search would find it (within a different workgroup) Make sure both computers are named under the same workgroup and this might fix you problem. Let me know it it works.

I think your problem is that you don't have a router; you only have a hub (These guys are all talking about DSL/Cable routers). There is a huge difference between a router and a hub. Skipping the details, you have two simple options. Purchase a DSL/Cable router or install a second NIC in each of the computers. I would recommend getting the router (Linksys and DLink both have nice ones that I've used). Both of the routers mentioned include a fairly configurable firewall, DHCP and a nice GUI interface for configuration (you'll be up and running within 5 minutes with either one). You can connect your ethernet hub directly to the LAN port on the router and adding 3rd 4th and 5th... computers for your kids later on takes only seconds with DHCP enable (it's enabled by default on both of the routers mentioned).

With a router you can drop the other network protocols you have installed (IPX/SPX, etc) and just use TCP/IP. Other routers are available, the two mentioned are the two I've used; there are others available.

If you choose to add a network interface card to each of the computers:

Leave the two cards you have installed setup as they are now.

Give each computer a private IP address (on the new cards), 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 will work. Use 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask and your done (no gateway, DNS addresses, nada on the new NICs)!

Actually I may have given you false info. You would only need to add one NIC (Unless I'm mistaken about being mistaken). I haven't done it for a while but Win2K and WinXP allow more than one IP address to be assigned to an interface (NIC). You should be able to get away with the one NIC on the XP machine and a second NIC on the 98 machine. Assign one of the addresses I mentioned above to the XP machine as a second IP and the other to the new NIC on the Win98 machine.

Clear as mud?

Good luck!

AlphaGuy

Hi! Problem is now resolved. The fix was simple enough but a bit tricky. On the Win98 computer I enabled netbios over IPX/SPX. On the XP computer I enabled NW Link and NWLink/IPX/XPS Netbios Compatible Protocol. Rebooted both computers and they were both seeing each other and I was able to send and receive files from both machines. Thanks again for all of your posts and helpful suggestions..
Best Wishes to all who replied and, again many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back