Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Network connection problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crutch006

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2004
GB
Hi

I have an XP pro SP2 machine at home connected to a Netgear switch/router. An idiot housemate of mine managed to riddle my PC with Adware by installing a heinous Active X component.

I ran Adaware to remove the offending files and now I cannot see the router!

XP reports that I have limited availability on the Network connection.

Its not picking up an IP from DHCP on router anymore.

If i assign a static IP it thinks the network is connected ok but I am having weird results when trying to ping the router. instead of pinging the 192.168.0.1 address i type in it appears as a wierd symbol (which i cannot create on a keyboard!) i get relplies but cannot get on the web.

Have checked host file to see if any nasty entries and all is ok. Have tried system restore (what a load of tosh) but this keeps failing saying an improper shutdown interrupted it. (but its not!!)

The router is still fully functional as other PC's at home are having no problems and this must be related to the adware etc.

I really cannot re-format my PC as i have so much stuff to lose (and i cant find my flaming XP key!!)

apart from murdering my housemate Iam at a loss :)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

col

thanks very much for that.. will try ASAP. looks to be the business anyway.

ta

the winsock fix program worked a treat.

have also installed MS adaware trial too.. will see how it compares with adaware/antiviri

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back