Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro - machine access rights - I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomFino

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2003
US
Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a strange request for help.

The small company I work for has a single user license for a software package. We have this software loaded on a Windows XP Pro machine. Currently, when a user logs in remotely to this XP machine they can run the software and everything works fine.

The problem is, when another user logs into the same machine to run the software, it kicks out the first user and allows the second user to log in and use the software.

What I am trying to figure out is if there is any way (via rights, settings, etc.) to set the XP machine so that it simply states ACCESS DENIED or some other message when the second user attempts to log in to the software, which is already in use, rather than kick out the first user?

I would look at the software you have loaded on XP. You state "single user license for a software package", this would indicate to me that the software has built in code to only allow one person to log in and utilize at a time. Does this make sence? Have in the past concurrent session been established? I'd look to the software specifically to determine access parameters and or a funtion that will facilitate your needs. Check the software manufactures site for issues related to your senerio.

Paul

Paul,
Thanks for the reply. We have never had more than one user utilizing the software. I will do as you suggested to see if the manufacture has a way to do what I need done.
Thanks again,
Dom

Is the problem just with the Remote Desktop process itself?

How a Remote Desktop Connection Affects Windows XP Professional

[HOW TO] Concurrent Remote Desktop in SP2

Multiple Remote Desktop connections - second user kicks off first user
thread779-1041411

Remote Desktop - Logoff Loop
thread779-968177

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back