Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro losing network connection to NT4,SP6a

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildhaggis

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2003
GB
I have an NT 4 server using SP6a. Until recently all has been well using W95-98 & ME flavours of clients, however I needed to add an XP laptop to the the network. Since then this new machine has caused no ends of problems in connectivity.

It drops the network connections to the NT4 server when it feels like it. To restore I have to connect again using my computer, and only then it sometimes works.
Opening or saving Word or Excel documents stored on the server can take up to 3 minites to open a 52k file. Even good old DOS programs which we need fail.

FYI
We have a number of printers on the network, Netbeui is also been installed.

No Bridge is installed.

Just to cap things off the new machine just happens to be my Managing Director and he wants results!!!

I have tried for weeks to find a solution and came across your board today, so hopefully some one will have an answer

Rgds

Wildhaggis

DNS is configured.
DHCP is not used as all pc's have fixed IP addresses

What network protocals do you have installed???

I experienced the same problem when all our XP workstation could not log onto the NT Domian. Try installing IPX/SPX, then change in the TCP/IP protocal under advanced>wins in properties to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Rush

Installed Protocols
Netbeui
TCP/IP

I have now added IPX/SPX but this should make no difference as we do not have a netware network?

Netbios was already enabled over TCP/IP

Had similar problems with an Xp machine too--did a full wipe and re-install and it fixed the problem. Before doing it though we tried everything from setting the indexing service to manual and also disabling a few others. Another thing we did was load a hosts file with the ip of the server on it so it wouldn't run around looking for so long.
See below.
This is a sample hosts file. For an XP machine - and most others - the location is: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.111.100 ausserver
192.168.111.6 auslas1
192.168.111.38 ainslie
192.168.111.214 aus-power
192.168.111.9 aus-bignell
192.92.91.56 cliff cliff.subway cliff.subway.com
192.92.91.53 cookie

You can just add in other other addresses you need and save it named hosts (no extension) in the location above.

Another thing, is the firewall turned on on the Xp machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back