Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xp Pro Lock up No Video Flash 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CecilXavier

Technical User
Oct 2, 2007
US
I searched... a little... and couldn't find anything that pertained exactly to my problem. I'm going to take a crack at this. I am already leaning toward a fresh install and using most up-to-date drivers on that fresh install.
My Pc running win xp pro is locking up at random times. Mostly when browsing the internet. I am using Firefox 2. It's an amd atholon xp 3200 with about a gig and a half or 2 gigs or ram. 256 nvidia geforce 6800 gt card, asus motherboard. I believe it is a ak47-8xn. I believe I'm on Service Pack 3 for xp.
It mostly happens when I am playing a game Dark Orbit online. It is an online flash based game. (very fun by the way) I think the lock up's mostly happen when I'm using flash. I've uninstalled flash and reinstalled it many times. Still no love. Anyone have any ideas on what it might be? I can't think of anything else information wise you might need.

The main reasons for PC lockup are overheating, bad PSU, bad drivers, or faulty hardware. Check system temps with SpeedFan. Try removing a stick of RAM or swapping them around. Try one stick at a time, load the PC between changes, but only make one change each time.

If you have a spare GFX card, try it. Make sure you have the latest drivers. Rotate your tires. OK, just kidding with that last one.

Since your PC locks up at specific times this means you can replicate the problem, which is good for troubleshooting. I'm betting it's heat, PSU, or vidcard/drivers.

Look in EventViewer, are there any corresponding Errors or Warnings?

And an AK47 is a rifle, not a mobo [smile].

Tony

Users helping Users...

DirectX: Description of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool

Will it freeze if you test from "Safe Mode with Networking"?

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

xp freeze troubleshooting
thread779-935320

PC Freezing - Hard to explain (see details)
thread779-1398265

Windows random hang
thread779-1423743

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Setting the Bios to Safe Defaults, or checking for any available update might help?

Thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance to try anything yet. My plans are to fire the machine up and see if I can get anything out of it. Thank you all for your help.

This may sound strange, but try that exact game using IE instead of FF...

I believe there is an issue with the Flash Plugin in FireFox... as I have noticed that at times Flash players (as found on YouTube for example) will load and then just stop...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

ok, so started down the path to the dark side here. Tried a few things. wasn't over heating. But, I took out all fans and lubed each bearing. Cleaned all dust (which there wasn't that much of). Re-thermal greased all heat sinks. I've got great air flow.
Tried updating all drivers. And then it went down hill. Ended up not being able to boot to safe mode even. So, all in all I ended up reseating everything and fresh installing. After a fresh install things were going very slow. I found that only 512mb out of the 1.5 gb of ram I installed was being shown. Found that I might have a bad dimm slot ont he mobo. So I've moved it to a different slot. and things seem well. Then found that the HDD I have my Os on was showing problems. Replaced that and reinstalled again and all is well.

Thanks for your feedback, I hope it remains to run well long in to the future too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back