Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro laptop unexpectedly rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimLeslie

Technical User
Jul 22, 2003
GB
A colleague is encountering an issue whereby her laptop will reboot unexpectedly whilst she is working. It has only happened a couple of times but on the last occasion I had a look to see if I could find anything. There are two event log entries that look suspicious and I wonder if anyone knew what was causing this.
The first entry was in the System log:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Win32k
Event Category: None
Event ID: 240
Date: 30/04/2008
Time: 15:54:44
User: N/A
Computer: MLSLFG22AS
Description:
A request to suspend power was denied by winlogon.exe.

Another entry in the ACEEventLog 3 seconds prior to the System log entry:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ACEEventLogSource
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 30/04/2008
Time: 15:54:41
User: N/A
Computer: MLSLFG22AS
Description:
0000000004: 2008-04-30 15:54:40:944 Exception <Removing ATI COM from ROT>: The object's type must be __ComObject or derived from __ComObject.--Parameter name: o
Exception Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Component.Runtime.Runtime::NotifyExiting processID:00724 threadID:(HotKeyForm ) domainName:(ccc.exe ) assemblyName:(CLI.Component.Runtime, Version=2.0.2589.34837, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
************************************************************************************************************************

The laptop is a HP 6720S and to my knowledge has not had anything installed either hardware or software, since it was built.

Regards

Could be a heat issue.

Or a bad bit in the RAM.

I'd start by getting all the dust out of it, making sure it's running cool.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

Anything on Google about that other error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back