Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro is prompting for a password after upgrade? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shooter902

IS-IT--Management
Dec 29, 2002
US
Hello all, my buddy is having with his XP Pro upgrade. He installed over 98SE and all went fine. he created a profile for himself (with no password), when he rebooted, but when he rebooted it prompted him for his user name and a password, but it will not take ANY user name or password combos. He never had a password created in 98, so I don't think it was grabing something form there. I had him try to log on as Administrator with no password, still kicked him out..what are we missing?

Thanks Tons

Try just the user name that he has setup, and no password -much like what you did with the Admin account.

You could try installing XP again - as a repair reinstall (boot xp install CD, choose new install - when it finds existing installation it should offer repair option - type R. Take this option - it should prompt for new Administrator password during this process (you'll need Xp install key too).

1. Make sure his username does not end in a period (.)
2. If he used the same username as he had under Windows 98 then this may apply: "XP Unexpectantly assigns User Passwords with an Upgrade Installation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back