Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP pro installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mun

Programmer
Mar 5, 2003
US
How do I install Xppro with out upgrading from XP home? I already upgraded from XP home to XP pro, but having problem with Intenet connection. Now I would like to cleanup my laptop and install XP pro. I've only one partition (C Drive) and I'm very much new to formating the disc. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Insert the CD, and restart the computer.
When prompted, select NEW install, and then you can format the hard drive, and get one install of XP Pro.
Even if this is an "upgrade" disk, you'll get prompted to put in the other CD as proof of ownership.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks, jim!

I tried it, but I got a message that I can't install with in the same partition. I've no partitions in the disc.

If you redo what Comtech told you, you will need to delete the existing partition first, recreate one and format of course.
Also, like said above, make sure you have you 'old' full version CD at hand if you are usinf an upgrade CD.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back