Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro IMAP Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimOSullivan

Programmer
Mar 9, 2001
IE
Hi,
I work from home and on client sites.
My ISP is also my email provider (POP3)
I would like to have my email download to my home PC (XP Pro) and access this mail with my laptop over the Internet when I'm at a client's site.
I currently have a mix of emails on my home PC and laptop and I need to get away from this scenario.

I have a static IP address.

Is this doable with my setup and, if so, how?

I'd appreciate any help or advice.
Thanks,
Tim

Look at the "leave mail on server for X days" options that is available in Outlook Express/Outlook and other clients I'm sure.

That will allow multiple computers to download it from the server without removing it from the web mail/server.

I've tried that option before but I still end up with a mismatch of emails on laptop/PC depending on when I use the laptop or PC.
Thanks

That should work as long as you apply that setting to both machines and use them both within the x days time period.

Should work UNLESS you have the delete option selected. Make sure that it is NOT selected so mail will stay on the server even if you delete it off of one PC.

Set the number of days to about 10 or the maximum time that you might be NOT checking mail on any PC.

What client are you using on your PCs for mail???

The best "solution" is to use a mail client on one machine (your main PC) and use web mail on the rest so as not to have to donwload onto any PC except the main one.

I'm using outlook on both.
Would I use webmail to the ISP or back to the main PC?

I've just been looking at hmailserver and considering using it to get mail from the ISP and use a vpn connection from the laptop to connect with IMAP.

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back