Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro home network....Needs Help!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekwit

Technical User
May 19, 2001
I am running Win XP Pro on my desk to with a Linksys WRT54gS with a cable modem. I have (4) laptops that all have XP pro on them I have setup a workgroup and connected them all together and everything has been running fine. Last week I installed Norton 2007 antivirus and now the desktop can not be seen in the workgroup. I disabled norton and still no luck. I can ping the laptops from the desktop I can RDP from the laptops to the desktop but it still is not seen in the workgroup. I have setup new workgroups on all of the computers setup new shares on printes, folders... still nothing. It does not make any sense XP pro --- Linksys --- Network should communicate with no problems. Any suggstions would be greatly appreciated.

You have a Norton/Firewall issue - nothing to do with workgroups or the linksys.

It's just these problems that make me very leary of Norton.

Check the firewall settings and exceptions - file & printer sharing must be permitted. I'm not familiar with Norton - but check to see that it's not blocking something somewhere that it shouldn't. I do know tho that disabling Norton & even removing it is not easy as it assumes it's under attack and sulks!

Hopefully someone can give more specific advice.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

I have turned off the firewall in XP when I disabled Norton that turned everything off. File sharing is turned on I can access all shares from laptop to laptop just the desktop has the issues.

Still Norton. Turning off Windows Firewall is not enough, you need to find, and turn of or disable Norton's embedded Firewall. Haven't used Norton in a while so can't tell you exactly how.

But everything points to Norton as the culprit.

Reason why I threw Norton away, and changed to the Free alternative of AVG.

You have no idea how difficult it was to uninstall Norton.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back