Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro hangs when logging off a user (black screen) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iconic2112

Technical User
Jan 27, 2004
GB
I didnt notice this problem before upgrading a WinXP machine to XP Pro. Legend P4 2.5 Gig 512Mb RAm using a NVIDIA Geforce4 MX440. Cable modem broadband connection.

Occasionally when logging a certain user off, even though I close all normal apps down b4 trying to log off. The screen just turns black - I dont even think it gets to the 'saving your settings' screen.

The monitor stays live (eg is still getting a signal) which makes me think WinXP might still be running 'OK' and its some sort of video problem.

I tried disabling fast user switching for a while but I dont want to go back to prompting user to type their account names in.

Everything else appears fine apart from this one issue!

Any ideas anyone ???

Regards - Frank

This may be your problem:

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650
Dont forget to post back with the eventual resolution.

Have turned the NVIDIA helper off and will advise on result - fingers crossed !!! Frank

inconnic2112,
Re-install your service pack. I had that issue before and re-installing the service pack fixed it.

Cheers Kippy!!! I didnt think the NVidia tip had work after the same fault occurred - but when I looked the service had turned itself back on again. I believe I've disabled it fully this time and fingers crossed - all is OK so far.

I notice there is an NVidia update as well but I'm a bit loath to install this yet without any further info.

Thanx once more - Frank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back