Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP PRO giving me IIS error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinypond

MIS
Apr 8, 2002
US
My machine XP Pro with IIS upgraded from XP home (IIS was not an option). when I open up the mangement console for IIS and look at the default website is see a red stop sign that says error if I click on start I get the following message "unexpected error 0x8ffe2740 occured" in looking at the properties I have noticed that if I change the port from 80 to 80 or 79 then I can get IIS to start up and run fine its something on port 80 that is giving me this problem. How do I checked to see what might be blocking my port 80? If I run on another port and type in then nothing comes up even though default asp exists and is valid. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

tinypond@hotmail.com

If I change IIS Default Port from 80 to another port(The reason I want to do this is port 80 is will not start on my machine it gives me an error other ports work fine in IIS). In the management console I have changed the port number by right clicking on the webserver and adjusted the properties of the port to 79 and 81 and then click on start and they both work fine. Yet my problem is my browser does not find them do I need to set my proxy defaults under Internet Explorer and what would I set them to. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you also have Oracle installed?? I was in the same predicament as you until I stopped my Oracle server. Afterwards, I was able to start the IIS (without using a different port) in XP Pro w/ no problems.

I had this same error, and it was because another service (in my case VoIP program - Skype) was listening on port 80 and was loading before IIS when my machine was starting.
Run from cmd window: netstat -a -o
This command will give you all TCP connections either opened or listening on your machine, and also give you the process ID for the process that is using the connection. Look for connections using either http or port 80, make a note of the process ids, open task manager and see what process has that id. Kill it and see if you can restart iis, or start the wdefault website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back