Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro disappears \Documents And Settings\username

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekGreg

MIS
Mar 8, 2002
US
Hello:

We are going to use XP Pro and we are making some tests. We have installed the XP and it keeps desappearing the Folders C:\Documents and Settings\username. The folder exists while the users are logged into the computer. But as soon as they logoff, the folder disappears, and I mean disappears: documents, favorites, start, cookies, desktop ... everything disappears.

I've registered the users through My Computer -> Properties -> Computer Name -> Network ID and then followed the Network Identification Wizard and registered the user as a Restricted User.

I've registered them through Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Add and then followed the Add New User wizard.

I've registered them through My Computer -> Manage -> Computer Management -> System Tools -> Local Users And Groups -> Users, right-click on a white space and then New User..., but none of the ways i've registered them has make the windows to keep that folder.

We have installed the XP Pro (blank disks) on 2 PCs (twice in each computer) and it allways erase that folder as soons as the users loggoff.

Is this the normal behavior of the XP?
Is there a way to keep the "\Documents and settings\username" folder?
Thank you.

Regards

Gregorio Granados

I am assuming this is a Win2k Domain?

This little bit of reading will explain whats going on, and allow you to make a deliberate choice as to how new user profiles are to be stored:

This is closer to what you want, I think:

If you decide based on your reading of the first article you want to implement roaming profiles, this is helpful:

Finally, Folder redirection is important in many settings to reduce logon times and to ease backup. There are some security rights issues you should plan for:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that, right now, we are using clients with Windows 95 and servers with NT 4.0, but soon, we are gointo to migrate clients and servers to XP Pro.

That's why we are making these tests.

Well, thank you, I'll begin to read.

Sincerelly,

Gregorio Granados.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back