Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Default Shares NOT Showing Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2003
US
This may seem like a weird request, BUT, I want my default admin shares(C$ and D$) to show up and be accessible. And currently they are not. They are listed as being shared in the ComputerMangement->Local Shares but when you do a NET VIEW on my machine you can never see them or the ADMIN$ or IPC$ shares. And obviously no one can map them. I just did a regular install of XP Pro and joined it to the domain. Nothing fancy. So how did I get this "hardened" more secure version of XP???? Thanks!

Is Enable Simple File Sharing unchecked in Folder Options/ View?

Simplified sharing lets you share folders with everyone on your workgroup or network and make folders in your user profile private. However, if simplified sharing is enabled, you cannot prevent specific users and groups from accessing your shared folders. Clear this check box if you want to set folder permissions for specific users and groups.

Shares with $ as last character (whether default or otherwise) are HIDDEN by design (its a secutity feature of NT/2k/XP). Additionally, default ones are administrative shares - and you can't change this (so you need administrative access to be able to see them).

If you want to provide shared access to these resources, just set you own shares up - you can suffix these with $ if you wish to hide them (but can map with ney use if required).

PS - run net share to see which shares are defined on machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back