Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro connection problems through LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBNservices

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2004
US
I have a PC that was set up with Windows XP Professional. Currently, when I go to transfer files on this machine through the network the pc seems to just bog down after a minute and eventually stop responding.

Now the weird thing is this will have the same effect if I am on another machine and copy files to or from that XP box. Right now when I tried to copy a directory of website files the machine I was had the same problem. It just bogged down to the point the machine was almost locked up. The only thing I can do is restart the machine.

One issue I thought could be that a while back I had re-installed XP after have Linux on. I did not exactly pay attention to which XP OS disc I grabbed off the shelf. At first I thought maybe I had used the same serial number which would conflict with another machine. But that can not be the case exactly as I have this problem connecting from any number of other computers which I know would have their own serial.

I did transfer files to a Linux share and then went to that XP box and tried to copy. Same thing, the machine eventually gets about halfway through 1-2GB of files and just seems to stop responding. Sometimes I have to hit reset, other times I can at least close down applications and restart the pc.

If this was an issue of the NIC card, why would it affect other machines? If this was an issue of using the wrong install disc, why would I have this issue when copying from Linux? I know that Windows XP has an issue on the number of connections it can have. Right now I can not make a remote desktop connection even though I know the pc is up and I can connect to its shared drive. Once I reboot the machine I have no problem at all connection remotely.

Also, since we are connecting to this machine constantly through remote desktop all day for long periods of time I have to wonder if it is the issue of the NIC or serial why we have no issues with that.

Just wanted to add the Event log provides absolutely no information on this. Not one error or warning message. I have updated XP with latest Service pack and all patches etc. Also, this problem occured after a fresh install. Symantec Antivirus 10 client was the first application installed. I am reasonably assured this is not a virus.

Hi have you the same antivius on both computers? also have you tried running CCleaner, and Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE. But being as i have not heard of that antivirus, i cannot comment.

See my own website at backed up by all updates, and sercurities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back