Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro CD Boot Setup Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neily

Programmer
Jul 27, 2000
GB
I need help for this urgently!!

I have been having problems with KaZaA resetting my PC after about 20mins usage. If I close KaZaA it stays running fine. I've now decided to find the problem by reinstalling XP Pro and finding what makes kazaa crash my PC.

So I put the CD in; restarted my machine; pressed a key when prompted but then after the message about detecting my config disappears it doesn't do anything more.

I've tried the settings in BIOS to no avail!!!

I don't have a floppy on my PC so can't use a Boot disc to start the system that way and install from DOS!!

Neil

Clear CMOS settings. Other than that, I don't know. I'd like to hear the answer to this though, without a floppy I don't know what you'd do if the CD won't boot.

Actually, what about booting into Windows, putting in the CD or make it run, then choose the option to reinstall Windows. If I'm not mistaken, you can choose that option from within the windows environment, at least with XP pro you can.

Give that a try.

shaner66 is absolutely correct about being able to reinstall after booting into Windows. When prompted choose the upgrade option.
modclocker

Re-installing XP is not the solution here. Better NIC drivers or a different NIC is likely to resolve this issue. The discussion below is in reference to WinMX, but applies equally to any program such as Kazaa that opens and closes TCP and/or UDP ports frequently:
In short, it is either a NIC with a poort chipset or a bum driver.

Thanks all who replied.

I have downloaded the drivers for the Alcatel SpeedTouch USB as indicated.

I eventually got it to re-install XP but running setup from XP didn't help either as it still froze after it rebooted.

I noticed that it tried reading the MemoryStick reader built in to my sony CD-RW so I took the stick that was in it out and I also changed the CMOS setting to stop on NO ERRORS.

After that it worked fine.

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back