Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP pro cannot install Exchange 2000 admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

silkep

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2001
IT
I want to manage Exchange 5.5/2000 servers from my XP professional office PC, but "Exchange Admin" from exchange 2000 setup will not install.

error is:
The component "Microsoft Exchange System Management Tool" cannot be assigned the action "install" because the Windows 2000 Administration Tools must be present.

I receive this error message even if i install the .NET Beta Administration tools (Adminpak.msi).

Microsoft don't resolve this problem...

Anyone have a good idea?

Thanks

Silke

There is a workaround. Not supported but works :)

Install 2000 Admin pack. It says you can't but continue.

Install ESM. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

I tried to instal Exchange Admin and it wouldn't work - I found out that it was because XP has remote desktop which is like using Terminal Services to view the entire desktop of the Server. But, I am running Terminal Services and you might not be.

Uh no. Like I said above that is how you install ESM on XP. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

you can ignore the errors and install the older version but you wont be able to run any of the active directory tools, MS released a newer version of adminpak that resolved these issues. I've had ESM installed on xp pro with both versions, works fine. 01110000

thanks for this workaround.

I've installed Win 2000 admin pack, it seems to work fine.

Hejdå

Silkep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back