Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Attempting Background Login to Win2k Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndunaz

MIS
Nov 11, 2003
US
I hope I am posting this in the right forum. I have a small network and I have 3 Win XP pro workstations that are in a workgroup (not a member of the win2k domain). The clients login to their workstations (different login name than the domain) and do most of their work locally. They only logon to the domain when they need to access an application. The problem I am having is that I have turned on the security logs for failed authentication on my Win2k Server. -- I get multiple errors in there from these 3 xp workstations where ntlsm is trying to login to the win2k server using the workstation login. I have turned off the automatic mapped drives and printers but this is beginning to get old. Any way to stop it from doing that?

Thanks in advance.

Ignore the errors.
I get get them turned off, if you provide more details. But they are harmless.

This is only happening in our 3 XP Pro workstations -- the others 98, me etc. don't do this. I have been clearing the logs so they don't get to large -- anyway the error message is below:

Security EventiD 529
NT Authority System
Logon Failure
Reason: unknown user name or bad password
user name (workstation login name)
domain (workstation name)
Logon type 3
Logon process NtLmSsp
Authorization package: NTLM

I will ignore them, but all the little quirks of xp pro are getting to me!

Thank you

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back