Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro and Windows Server 2003 - Slow Shares, but quick on UNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stannerack

IS-IT--Management
Jun 24, 2001
GB
Hi

I have just performed a server upgrade from Windows 2000 Server to Windows 2003 Standard. We have 3 domain controllers, all of which now run Windows 2003 server.

I am having major performance problems when trying to copy files to a network share on one of the 2k3 servers.

For instance, I have mapped a drive letter to a folder share. It takes 10 to 20 time longer to copy a batch of files than normal. If I just open up a window to "\\servername\sharename" the copy is as quick as it should be.

I have uninstalled antivirus, turn off XP settings that search for folders and printers, but no joy.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks
Paul

Sounds like a network card driver issue..

Was this server working fine before the upgrade?

I don't think it's a network card issue, as it looks as though you can copy with the UNC. How is the folder shared? Do you have it published in the AD? Have you had any problems with DNS? I wouldn't think so as you are able to get to it via UNC. Is this a new mapping of the drive, or is it a left over from the "old" days? If it is, try disconnecting and reconnecting to see if that my curb your speed issue.

Hi

I think it is resolved. It isn't a DNS issue, or a network hardware issue.

More like an 2k3/XP problem. Windows XP Service Pack 2 solved the problem.

It looks like it was an SMB signing issue between my clients and the servers.

Anyway, all sorted. Thanks for your help.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back