Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro and Vista dual boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snow1868

MIS
Oct 31, 2006
US
Is it possible to partition a hard drive to run XP Pro and also Vista? Or will I need to load each OS onto seperate HD's?

You can load each OS into its own partition. A separate Hd is not necessary. Only suggested.

Install XP first, and then Vista, so vista creates the bootloader upon install.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

You should also consider running XP as a Virtual PC inside vista, no dual booting required.

Smash, how do I set that up? I haven't worked with Vista enough to know the ins and outs. Thanks for your advice.

Linney posted the virtual PC link. Using my Vista system with Virtual PC 2007 running, I can boot this XP & IE6 image in less than 60 seconds and switch between this & vista. This is a stripped down version of XP, a full xp installation takes a little longer to boot, but really not much more than it would if it were a stand-alone operating sytem aka- ½ of a dual boot system.

The problem I had with virtual PC (besides the virtual networking which can get a bit complicated) was the fact you can't use a virtual PC with your real hardware, you have to use the emulated hardware which is comparitively rubbish to today's PCs - aka the graphics card for the virtual pc was some old svga thing. Maybe it's changed as I haven't tried it in a year or 2, or maybe I missed settings to use real hardware with the virtual PC? I'd love to find I could literally just run virtual OS with viortual HD and the rest physical ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back