Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro allows only 10 users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkr1

Technical User
May 22, 2002
US
Hi...

I have a peer to peer network of eighteen PC's. One PC is used only for sharing databases. I installed XP Pro on it so I could use is as a print server for unix services. Now I find out that XP Pro will only allow ten other users at one time to be connected to it...is there any way around this?

Thanks

The only way to increase the connection limit above 10 is to install a server version of the operating system, which will cost you plenty moolah--as I recall, a Win2K Server CD with 5 client access licenses would cost about four times as much as Win2K Pro, and then you legally have to buy another batch of CALs to allow your multiple-connect scenario.

Or a bad idea - place the files on a windows 98 machine.

Ash.

It looks like they got me...I am going to go back to Win98SE...will use XP Pro on another PC for unix print jobs.

smah...I think I will start learning about Linux!

Thanks for the info all!

dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back