Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP pro/ AC'97 audio/ no sound...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwngflies

Technical User
Apr 28, 2005
US
I am running XPpro SP2, ZoneAlarm FW-AV, NOD32 AV, and Avast4 AV. I have had no issues with this combo.
Recently, yesterday, in fact, I lost sound in system.(AC'97 onboard)
If i try to open a sound file with WMP, it shows: "Error, no mixer device is installed ..."
First, I ran complete scans, with nothing detected.
Next, checking device mngr, it shows AC'97 installed and working properly.
I have no control over settings in audio device properties for sound, or volume. No volume control icon in task bar.
This sceenshot was taken before I re-installed windows:
(same now except for Style XP not installed)
Next, I unistalled AC97 drivers and codecs, dnld new from Realtek, installed, no change.
Next, I checked all audio related progr's and found nothing wrong.
Next, I tried Windows repair with disk, no change.
Next, I tried three attempts to restore, no change.
Next, I moved all important file to another HD, and formatted C; drive, re-installed WinXP, ran updates, installed ZA FW, and NOD32, no sound, same error.
Now, I cannot re-access Win updates anymore, IE will freeze in 'searching for updates' page, and I have to use task mngr to stop IE.
Also, sometimes, even after fresh install, my WinXP default theme will change to Win2000 theme on it's own. Also, when this happens, not everytime, but usually, the Start Button will dissapear, although the 'link' to the start menu will still function.
I was leaning towards hardware prob, except for the theme issue. Would the audio and theme problems be related? They started simultaneously, at least noticed at same time...
So, I disabled onboard AC'97 audio in BIOS, until I can find a resolution.
Would a failing or faulty AC'97 sound device cause this much havoc? Esp. altering the themes? Or is it MB failing altogether? It is only 3.5 mo. old, purchased 3/05.
Would an after market sound card, ie:Audigy, be able to replace the AC'97, if it is in fact, corrupted, or will I need to RMA my board?

Are you working with a retail XP CD or some OEM recovery CD?

I know you have done this already, all I can suggest however (short of returning the machine under any warranty), is that you perform a format of the drive again and clean install XP.

The first thing after the install is to get the sound working via installing the Realtek drivers that you have either on a separate CD that came with your machine, or by downloading them from the manufacturers web site (and not Windows Update) via another machine.

If you get no sound, stop there, and fault the machine, as long as you are sure you have installed the correct sound drivers.

If you have sound. Install your Firewall (turn off built in XP firewall), install NOD32 (or only 1 virus scanner).

Update virus scanner, then update Windows.

The CD I have, is a purchased OEM WinXP pro/SP2 install disk.
It is what I used to install the XP on this machine.
I built this machine, from ordered parts from newegg.com
The GigaByte board has a three year warranty, so I would have to RMA the board back to GigaByte for replacement.
I already formatted the C: drive, and re-installed WinXP, along with the security updates from Windows Updates.
I already installed the original drivers for the AC'97 audio off the install disk that came with the MB. I also tried the updated drivers from Realtek, before I formatted.
I will once again, format C: drive, then install windows, and check for sound, prior to installing any updates, to see if this has any effect.
Thanks for your reply.
Hopefully, I will return in about 2 hrs to post.

Resolved...
Evidently, there was a missing, or corrupt piece of data in my .net framework install.
After installing windows the first time, I went ahead and ran updates, and installed all updates for windows and .net framework.
The second time I installed windows, I checked for sound at every new update before continuing on to the next. Time consuming, yes, but effective. I will do without Paint.net, even though I prefer it over Paint, but I can hear.
Thanks for your reply linney...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back