Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro 64 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1quickdraw

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
I have recently installed, had do install again because of drive config probs WIn XP Pro 64. I just built up a new computer based on a Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R motherboard w/ 4 Gig Ram and Intel core 2 Duo processor. I have only 2 SATA hard drives (250 gig & 400 gig) as well as a Sony Sata DVD burner and HP IDE DVD burner. The situation:
First run through everything worked fine. All updates, IE 7, going to Windows Updates via the shortcut in IE. After doing the upgrades and finding I could not change the drive letters on C (one drive which seem to want to be listed as C & E) and this was NOT the boot drive. The other drive also partitioned intot 2 sections was D & H. Everything else worked fine. After trying to re-define the drives (could not change D or C) I unpluged the drive which was being called C. Could not boot anymore. I reinstalled XP Por 64 with only the one boot drive plugged in. After install I plugged in the other man aged to re name dives and away I went.
The problem:
As I updated (started w/ IE 6) I updated to IE 7 againAfted updating and gettins SP 2, all other necessary updates I also recied IE 7 again. Now when I try to go to windos updates via the shortcut on IE 7, I am informed I need to a 32 bit browser?? At first it would lock up when I pressed the open button. It now does go to another screen. I am wondering why? I also can not get AOL 9.1 to download and install. I use the free Mcafee anti virus they provide me. I am a novice to the 64 bit stuff. Any advise for future refernce or things to look out for is a ppreciated. [bigglasses]

I've got 64 bit XP on a test machine. IE7 installs 32 and 64 bit versions (you can see both on start menu - 64 bit one is labelled as that) - though my desktop icon for IE runs the 32 bit version.

For AOL, you should contact them to see if they have 64 bit options available.

As I said its a test machine - so only use it occasionally, but had no problems - and performance is good - apart from some compatibility (eg, it won't run 16 bit programs).

Thanks Linney.

I will read the links you have suggested.

Wolluf, thanks I have already thought about contacting AOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back