Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Port 80 blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkGoodwin

Technical User
May 15, 2003
GB
I host my web site on my windows XP Pro machine and recently ive had problems connecting to it from other pc's.

i get a report back saying that port 80 isnt responding.

i can get the web site from my local machine fine.

im running either iis5 or apache - both have the same result

i have no firewall enabled.

how can i unblock this port so that my web site works?
how can i see which ports are being used?

please help as this is very annoying!

cheers
Mark

If a router is involved you should:

1. Give the Web Server machine a static ip address
2. Forward port 80 to that address.

If there is no router, you should call your ISP to see if they have begun blocking port 80. Many do.

"im running either iis5 or apache - both have the same result"

If you're unsure, you're in trouble. They both compete for port 80 by default. This is likely your trouble. Make sure you disable one before using the other, or assign a different port such as port 8080 to one (Apache is easy to modify). You can't run both on port 80 at the same time.

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

i meant that when i run iis OR apache port 80 is blocked - meaning it doesnt matter which one i have active, sorry for the confusion.

any further ideas?

Does sound like port 80 is blocked by default by your ISP, many do this to prevent you from trying to do what you are doing. One way round would be to try another port, the only downside would be you would have to type your server address followed by the port number. To prevent users from forgetting to type the port number buy a cheap domain domain name and set up web forwarding to your server so the user would type and that would forward to
Michael Holroyd
MCSE Network Engineer
Megabyte Computer Services LTD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back